Back to work for the first time in thirteen days
I was finally able to work for seven hours on 6/6/21. I cleaned and primed several surfaces to begin working on. I made a couple of tools out of some old paintbrushes that I picked up from Turnip Green Creative Reuse over the weekend. These tools aren’t pretty, but they are functional. I’m working on smaller pieces these days, though I still have steps to finish on a few larger pieces also. I’m overthinking the contrast in textures and paint washes on a couple of them. I’ll work it out. I’m excited to show them.
Anxiety and panic set in
Not being able to create for even this short amount of time was difficult to get through. I experienced high anxiety for several days during my downtime. The worst was when I woke up in a panic. I was agitated all day and at times I could feel my blood pressure throbbing in my neck and my hearing was pulsating in and out. Though I have several tools that I use to combat anxiety, they are elusive when I’m in panic mode. I just fight to get away from it. When it gets like this, it’s best that I just shut down. I concocted a blend of herbal tinctures and watched Youtube videos for a while. The tincture mix helps, but it also makes me drowsy. That day was a bust.
On a positive note
I love experimenting with new materials. I’ve been thinking of a framed rectangular piece of sheer fabric, maybe spray-painted gauze. The frame will be suspended off of the sculpture with simple brackets or wire frame. I want to play with partially hiding an image or shape behind the sheer. This could result in a spectacular effect depending on how the piece is lit.
I’m currently experimenting with drywall compound mixed with acrylic gel medium over small wooden fruit crate panels. The texture is fantastic and it seems to hold up to minor bending. If you have any experience with this, please let me know how it worked out for you in the comments. I’m curious about the longevity of this mix.
Thank you Randy Purcell for the box of package inserts. I can hardly wait to cut them up for use.
Box in a box update.
If you saw my Facebook post, “A box in a box. See what this becomes. Please stand by”, it’s coming along nicely. There are just a few more steps until it’s finished. I’ll post pictures then.